ANNOUNCEMENTS

I am sorry to announce that I have made a decision to officially close Cypsis' Blog.

All the reviews stay up as they are, but I will not write more reviews. Cypsis' Blog had many ups-and-downs during those 7 years and I have tried to give the best I could, but unfortunately my life has moved on so much that finding time for reviewing has become more and more difficult. Closing the blog is breaking my heart, but I have thought a lot about it and understood that it is for the best. I am very thankful to everybody who have enjoyed reading my reviews.
(PS. I am still continuing to watch Asian dramas and you can always find me on Mydramalist.com)

Thank you for all these 7 years. I hope that those 240 reviews made you happy. I truly had unforgettable time writing them!

Sincerely, Cypsis
01.01.2018

Monday, September 3, 2012

Tokujo Kabachi! (2010)


Country: Japan
Format: drama in 10 episodes
Genre: work, comedy, law
Cast: Horikita Maki, Sakurai Sho,Takahashi Katsumi, Enda Kenichi, Nakamura Masatoshi, Asano Yuko, Tamaru Yuko, Watanabe Ikkei, Kikuzato Hikari, Yoshida Keiko, quests: Ashida Mana, Taiga, Ichikawa Yui, Ohno Satoshi,
Synopsis: Tamura Katsuhiro is young man with a strong sense of justice. He aims to become administrative attorney, but keeps failing in the exam, so he is just an assistant in the Ohno Administrative Attorney firm. On the other hand, there is Sumiyoshi Misuzu, young woman who passed the same exam while being only 18 - with 4 year career experience she is an outstanding attorney, yet she decides to start working in the same firm after losing a case to "laid-back" assistant Tamura. 
Rating: 2/5
 Drama is made after Tajima Takashi's manga "Tokujo Kabashi!! Kabachitare! 2", so if I understood
 it the right way, then basically it is the second part of "Kabachitare" (it was also adapted into a drama in 2001, starring Tokiwa Takako, Fukatsu Eri, Jinnai Takanori and Yamashita Tomohisa). 
Tamura is kindhearted crybaby, but he also gets fired up easily. His character reminds me a lot of "Hokaben", but he is not useless and his words make sense and get into people's chest. And what is the biggest difference is that with his work he does not ruin other's lives just to get his justice, not like Domoto in "Hokaben" did. To say some hints about his character and what happens in the drama, I say that he gets sexually harassed, wears mother's surname and mostly is teased by everyone. I find Sakurai Sho pretty good actor - he suited into this role and to a fan I say that his happy-crying voice is shoooooo cute xD
Sumiyoshi Misuzu is very powerful and when she is doing her job, she is the biggest bitch on earth. I thought of killing her at the beginning, because she got on my nerves so much with her manipulative tone and "acting like a good girl". I would have wanted to know more about her hate towards men and her ex-husband as she was so proud of being divorced. Though she hardly admits it, she is amazed by Tamura's actions and in a weird way Kebisawa has always much power over her. It was nice to see Horikita Maki in a different role from her usual good-girl-roles (at least which I have seen). She had cut her hair and perm them to look
more mature and she looked stunning as Sumiyoshi! Maki and Sakurai Sho suit to act together. I do not know if it is the on-screen chemistry, but it is a pleasure to watch them. It would have been nice to see more romantic relationship between their characters, because it actually should be a romance drama too. 
Ohno Daichi/ Dai-chan is the boss of the firm, but other than that he is one regular at hostclubs. As I already told you, Kebisawa has a lot of power, especially because she is widely known lawyer. She seems to have a crush into Dai-chan, but it is not much shown, but that is the reason why she is close to Ohno's firm (I always laughed when I saw the board - Sakurai Sho is a band member with Ohno Satoshi in Arashi) . The last members of the firm Sakaeda and Shigemori - I never saw them actually  working, but you can learn a lot about them while watching drama. Sadly, they had been made into total side-characters and there actually was not anything big that would have concerned them into drama more.
There was one thing that totally annoyed me - the catch-line "The law will not forgive you!" is stupid -.- It reminds me "JOKER" and that reminds me "Sailor Moon" (read "JOKER's" review to know why). And I still do not understand their work - many times they seemed as loan-sharks or dept collectors, only that they were legal. It felt like they did illegal things in a legal way - all that hand-to-hand money made it difficult for me. I found it natural that this big money is transferred between bank-accounts not from hand to hand. Also, I got annoyed from these "questions" -.- I know that this is a good way to educate people about their rights and laws, but it reminded me Dora O.o This drama caused a little scandal too - one Osaka bar association sent a letter to TBS and asked them to stop the distribution of the drama as the characters actually overstepped the boundaries of public notary job and exceeded it into lawyers field, which actually
was deeply analyzed in the drama too. But as we can see that "Tokujo Kabachi" DVD is on sale, we can say that nothing much happened from that accusation. We still must remember that it is based on manga that is only fictional.
They actually called to one viewer in the end of each episode and there was a possibility to win stuff.
Most of the comedy came from really weird scenes, which made me think of what the heck I am watching?! With this drama, I was in love-hate relationship, which made it kinda difficult to watch it all in a one row, but I must admit that it got better with each episode, because the first episode was the most depressing of them all (if we look at the official viewer ratings, than many people dropped it after first episode). In the end, I must say that it was a great drama, if we leave all the annoying parts out.

No comments:

Post a Comment