ANNOUNCEMENTS

I am sorry to announce that I have made a decision to officially close Cypsis' Blog.

All the reviews stay up as they are, but I will not write more reviews. Cypsis' Blog had many ups-and-downs during those 7 years and I have tried to give the best I could, but unfortunately my life has moved on so much that finding time for reviewing has become more and more difficult. Closing the blog is breaking my heart, but I have thought a lot about it and understood that it is for the best. I am very thankful to everybody who have enjoyed reading my reviews.
(PS. I am still continuing to watch Asian dramas and you can always find me on Mydramalist.com)

Thank you for all these 7 years. I hope that those 240 reviews made you happy. I truly had unforgettable time writing them!

Sincerely, Cypsis
01.01.2018

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Marriage Plot (2012)


Also Known as: The Marriage Scheme, The Wedding Scheme
Country: South-Korea
Format: drama in 16 episodes
Genre: romance, comedy
Cast: Kang Hye Jung, Lee Kyu Han, Lee Young Eun, Lee Min Woo, Kim Se Jung, Park Min Ji, Seo Jae Kyung, Kim Won Joon, Kim Jae Deuk, Cha Hwa Yun, Yoon Joo Sang, Jung Seung Ho, Kim Ik Tae,
Synopsis: So Doo Ryunis the president and founder of famous kimchi factory as well as a mother of 4 daughters, whom she raised up alone after her husband died in a fishing-accident. She is told that she does not have much time left to live and as watching back at her life she understands one thing - she has not raised her daughters well enough and she has not used the chance to get to know them. So she makes a big decision to act as the company is leading to bankruptcy, making a boarding-house for 3 single men out of their house, teach the daughters their last lesson and find out who is suitable of taking over the company.
Rating: 4/5
Actually the synopsis should be a little bit different or at least longer, but it is okey at least for beginning and main theme. The main characters actually are second daughter Gun Hee and her sometimes-subordinate-sometimes-boss Lee Kang Jae and their weird-office-private-kimchi-making-relationship.. Weird, I know, but the kimchi is the second most important subject after love in this drama.
Well, back to characters. Gun Hee is an independent woman, who mostly nags with everyone about everything they do or do not do. Also she almost never eats at home, but when she eats - it's only sandwiches. Work and career are the most important things to her and she finds that family and love will only hold her back, then again she talks how she remembers her father only working and same with mom, but keeps doing exactly like them .. and next moment she shows her appreciation to everyone. But her will-power and stubbornness are what keep her moving forward. As it is usual to Korean dramas, in addition to mom's cancer, then she is certain that she is adopted, because she heard her mom talking about it when she was little. It seems like a rough start, but actually she has many many great positive sides too - like how she unknowingly seduces Lee Kang Jae. 
Lee Kang Jae.. Gyoza, how I fell for this man. He is like grown-up goofy guy. (you know how I love those guys). At first glance he seems like a usual Korean flower-boy obnoxious jerk, but then comes the change - he is actually super-duper funny, makes totally wrong things at totally wrong moment, and he is not afraid to show out his emotions.. all emotions. I was even scared away when I understood that he is already fallen for her after some episodes. Of course, most of the remarks and hints seem like a joke to Gun Hee, but he actually means everything. Maybe one thing that disturbed me about him was that he said that he loves her really fast (that was one of the reasons why I broke up, because I cannot stand when people say that they love other after really short time..). But I forgive it to Lee Kang Jae as he did not say that to me. It is funny that he is the second biggest cry-er in the drama. I feel like they have switched the usual Korean roles as a strong-emotionless woman and emotional crybaby man, who cannot hold alcohol. They even do piggyback this way for several times... I said that Gun Hee is a strong woman. It is Lee Kyu Han's first MAIN-role. He has been more than once "the second guy who is left broken-hearted", but this time it is different. I have not seen his other roles and with a high chance I will not see either (at least with 2013 March state), but he deserves a medal of this role, because he is fabulous in it.
Sun Hee is the oldest daughter and has dedicated her life to serve her family.... why? because she also heard her mom and other lady talking about adopted child and thinks that it must be her. So she has basically given up on everything she ever has wanted.. and became total airhead... But fortunately, she changes and becomes freaking hot unni, who will get what she wants. She has a little slow and sweet mental thing going on with one boarding-house residents Seo Jang Won - a famous stunt man with a really sad smile. He is really sweet, but his moto is "I am lacking in many ways", because he keeps retelling it over and over again, so in the end I already thought that he is impotent or gay.. Next time, please give reasons faster.
Third daughter Min Jung is the most different from others and is really spoiled.. but she has spoiled herself by spending time only on partying, shopping and following her "rich-radar", which alerts when she sees a rich man. Financially she takes the bankruptcy the hardest, because it puts the end to the thing that she calls her life. Finally she starts to act more grown up and take responsibility. With these changes also her rich-radar starts to fail her with not alerting on rich guys, but on a simple chauffeur, who has worked for her mother for some years.
The last daughter is Min Ji - as she is the youngest, she is the most childish one and has the most mixed feelings about everyone and everything. She grew up without remembering her father, because if we do some calculations then she was just a little baby, when dad passed away. So she is kinda looking for male-example and as Seo Jung Won, her unni's love-interest, is the oldest man in the household, then of course she is growing some weird feelings for him. But she is just a kid.
Like most Korean rom-com dramas, the parents past will ruin and block some connections and make love impossible like it was in inextinguishable Romeo and Juliet love, but again no one can tell the children the reason why they cannot be together and just keep saying "You know nothing! but I
cannot say it out either.. ". The thing is that Lee Kang Jae is the son of the Sangcharim food company's CEO, who is the biggest rival and the most hated person of So Doo Ryun. Also Gun Hee actually works at Sangcharim, which is the biggest reason behind her off-relationship with mother. 
In the end, all girls have personally grown and changed into totally different people, so mom's idea to teach them a lesson about better life pays off as she is able to bring her family back together. But all the road til that is so damn cute, that I actually do not care how much of the script is logical. It is easy to watch, even though sometimes it feels that they concentrate on too many things at the same time, but then again it does not have annoying bad villains who take away the pleasure to watch and there are not big up-side-down turning changes and surprises. The drama has amazing kiss-scenes by all actors without horrible fish-kisses and I even cannot choose which kiss was my favorite or which pair I liked the most. 
If you ask why I did not give it whole 5 stars... then my sister and best friend are in fault of this - they thought that the end came too fast and the sound-music is totally overused. The last thing is true, because it seemed like they used almost as much music as music-dramas do.
But I enjoyed it, with a high chance that I will re-watch it right away, because I feel like this is exactly that I need at the moment - relationships in real life are hardly this heart-pounding than in dramas - and that's why I like dramas more. Kidding!   
I do hope it is everything I wanted to tell you about it, but I am not sure. Watch it yourself and tell me what you think! As much as I have noticed, then it is not the most popular drama from 2012, but I like it more than flower-boy-themed.

No comments:

Post a Comment