ANNOUNCEMENTS

I am sorry to announce that I have made a decision to officially close Cypsis' Blog.

All the reviews stay up as they are, but I will not write more reviews. Cypsis' Blog had many ups-and-downs during those 7 years and I have tried to give the best I could, but unfortunately my life has moved on so much that finding time for reviewing has become more and more difficult. Closing the blog is breaking my heart, but I have thought a lot about it and understood that it is for the best. I am very thankful to everybody who have enjoyed reading my reviews.
(PS. I am still continuing to watch Asian dramas and you can always find me on Mydramalist.com)

Thank you for all these 7 years. I hope that those 240 reviews made you happy. I truly had unforgettable time writing them!

Sincerely, Cypsis
01.01.2018

Friday, July 11, 2014

Mitsuko Delivers (2011)


Country: Japan
Format: movie
Genre: absurd, comedy
Cast: Naka Riisa, Nakamura Aoi, Ishibashi Ryo, Inagawa Miyoko, Namiki Shiori, Takeuchi Miyako, Oona Momoka, Kondo Yoshimasa, Hotaru Yukijiro, Saito Keiko
Synopsis: Mitsuko is in her last month of pregnancy, but her life is a big mess. Her parents believe that she is happily living in California, but in reality she went back to Tokyo after her African-American boyfriend dumps her when hearing about the child. In addition, she is out of money and has no place to stay, but still she believes that everything is going to be just fine.
Rating: 2/5
We all have some movies that after watching them make us think "WHAT THE RAMEN I WAS WATCHING NOW??!" and this is just like this to me. This is now officially one of the weirdest movies I have seen, but on the other hand it works! For me it was so weird to understand that it was amusing and actually made me want to see other Yuya Ishii works.

Mitsuko is not the usual main female character. She is bad at communication, though she is really eager to socialize and help people,even when people do not ask her.. or ask her not to. On one hand, she is really strong woman when things come to her, but when things concern other people she is so emotional that she cries all the time. In some scenes I did not even understand if her actions brought others luck or misfortune, because everybody were influenced by her. Some critics have said that "she is bringing a little bit positive lifestyle into loser's everyday life". I do not consider any of the characters losers, most of them are just stuck with their lives. The dad of the child is a big mystery. It is said that it is some American guy named Jack, but even that can be put under the question mark.
Yoichi is a guy who has lived all his life in the same place with his uncle. He once used to go to the same school with Mitsuko when she was living there. Yoichi has ever since feelings for her and is willing to help her in every possible way. Even though, his life has been standing still all this time and it seems that there is nothing for live for, he is actually thankful for his life there. I really liked him, because behind the quiet guy, he is really mature and rational, so he makes a great balance beside Mitsuko.
Other really important person is Kiyoshi, Mitsuko's old land-lady who taught Mitsuko to live a "cool" life, but Mitsuko got a bit of wrong idea what is "cool". Kiyoshi lost her husband in war just after getting married. When in past she was really strong woman with harsh saying then by the time movie takes place she is old bedridden lady who cannot do anything else than just wait for the bomb to explode under her floor.
In this weird neighborhood that once used to bloom with outcast, is rather empty with only some people staying. Between the few people staying there are also Jiro, Yoichi's uncle, and Mama, the cafe owner, who have been loving each other for a long long time, but have never had the courage to say out their feelings. Of course everybody know about it and Mitsuko is the brave one to make a move of changes.

This movie has a lot to teach like that stressing do not get you anymore. Two most used lines are "But first let's take a nap" and "wait until the wind blows, then go with it". I do think that sometimes you should just take a rest and everything will work out somehow, but of course it helps you only in some certain matters. Life has its weird ways of going and there are times when things that seem worst at the moment turn into something great. On the other hand, I am not sure about the other sentence - of course it is right about how life goes on and you should move with it, but I do not think it is right to make a turn around really fast and make decisions like that. It seems a bit too irresponsible and irrational. 
It takes a lot of knowledge of Japanese  humor to understand the comedy in this tragedy. It was also shown in many different countries on film festivals and I just found out that some years ago also in my country - I think I start to keep my eyes out for this year festival already. 


No comments:

Post a Comment